Chief Ouray Gun Club

WOT Committee Meeting Minutes

11/30/10 6:00 pm

Location:  Buske Residence

 

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm

 

Committee members present Bob Morss, Mike Ardoin, Jim Buske, Gayle Buske, Cathy McElman, John Young, Glenda Young, Gail Jossi

 

Minutes:  This was the first meeting so there were no previous minutes.

 

Unfinished Business

 

This was the first meeting so there was no unfinished business.

 

New Business

1)      Date for the event was discussed.  We decided on late July, depending on the availability of the Ridgway 4H Center

2)      Target decision:

a.       Resetting targets for the pistol lane

b.      Shoot and See targets for the rifle lane – need cardboard to staple to the sticks to hold the targets

c.       Cardboard or corrugated steel for the shotgun lane

d.      We need sticks to place in the target stands for the shotgun and rifle lanes to hold the cardboard and targets

3)      Guns decision:

a.       2 - .22 revolvers

b.      2 – .22 rifles

c.       2 - .223 rifles

d.      2 – 20ga shotguns

e.      2 - .38 revolvers

f.        2 – 9mm semi-auto pistols

4)      Ammunition decision:

a.       All ammo must be US-made

b.      All ammo must be brass

c.       We need 25 rounds of ammo for each woman for each gun type.

                                                               i.      2500 rounds of 9mm

                                                             ii.      5000 rounds .22

                                                            iii.      2500 rounds 38

                                                           iv.      2500 rounds 20ga

                                                             v.      2500 rounds .225

d.      Each woman will be allowed to shoot 25 rounds through each gun type

e.      We should order about 500 extra rounds of each type just in case – better too much than too little

5)      Other decisions made:

a.       Mike will use his van to shuttle

b.      Need to find another van or two

c.       Opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies will be at the 4H center

d.      RTBV and gun cleaning will be at the 4H center

e.      Food will be at the 4H center

f.        Need T posts and caution tape to cordon off areas at the range

g.       Age limit – we’re thinking 12years and up (unless we are advised differently from the other WOT directors)

h.      Need to schedule many range clean up days after the snow clears.  Need firm commitments from club members to come out to clean up the range.

i.         Will add $1000 to the budget to cover cost of bringing in road base to cover the backstops on the range lanes

j.        Will add $80 to the budget to cover cost of resetting (spinning steel) targets for the pistol lane

k.       Event cannot be totally free to participants.  We MUST get them pre-registered so we know how many we will have, etc.  The only way to ensure this is to have them pay something.  We agreed on a $25 entry fee per person.  For that they will get the swag bags filled with coupons, NRA info, a WOT visor, and whatever else we can come up with.

l.         Will open our bank account at Alpine Bank.  Gayle and Glenda will be cosigners

 

Action items

1)      Cathy and Gail will start looking for donations of goods to give away at the event

2)      Mike will check with the companies Cathy suggested to get rid of the range building

3)      Bob will check with Blackford and Ralph Lawry about grading the drive

4)      Gayle will check with other WOT directors about the following

a.       How long it takes to get the women through

b.      Age limits for attendees

5)      Gayle will check with Friends of the NRA to see when the grant money will arrive

6)      Glenda and Gayle will set up a bank account at Alpine Bank specifically for the WOT events

7)      Jim will get a PO Box for the WOT events

8)      Glenda will talk with Susan Long at the 4H center about using the hall for the event

9)      Cathy will talk to Tammy Tuttle at the Grit about doing the food

10)   Gayle will draw up a volunteer agreement that all volunteers must sign – i.e. these are your duties, you are waiving your rights, etc.

11)   Gayle will check with insurance company to see what the policy covers.  Will also check to see if we need a separate policy for the range and the 4H Center

12)   Gayle will talk to Ridgway, Montrose, and Ouray PD’s to see if they can offer volunteer instructors or other volunteers

13)   (NOTE:  this was not discussed during the meeting but was added after):  we’re going to have a shuttle running back and forth from the 4H center, turning into and out of that awful driveway.  I’m going to check with Junior to see if he can post a deputy to the south of the range driveway to slow traffic heading north.  That would be TRAGIC to have a van load of women hit.  As a plan B, I think we’ll post a volunteer at one of the driveways (at about the same position we’d want a deputy) with a radio and Mike (and whoever else drives) will have a radio so that when he/they are coming up to the driveway, they can radio to the volunteer and ask if there are any cars coming.

14)   Gayle needs to schedule a date to do the Range Safety Officer certifications

15)   Gayle will ask Norwood and Montrose Friends of the NRA if they have any volunteers available

16)   Gayle will check other shuttle services to see what it would cost for a shuttle for the day

 

Announcements

 

Next meeting will be January 11, 2011 at 6:00pm at Buske Residence.

 

Adjournment:  Meeting was adjourned at 8:15pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Gayle Buske, Secretary